October 12, 2020
Ignited Minds is a 501c3 nonprofit corporation formed in New Mexico and based in Santa Fe. As a startup, our short-term aim is to address students’ immediate needs for free online tutoring in all middle and high school subjects to enhance their learning and increase the graduation rates, particularly among at risk students. Our long-term goal is to build a following within New Mexico that will sustain our tutoring services.
We are recruiting our first board of directors and officers. The first draft of bylaws provides for five directors with gradual growth over five years to a maximum of 11. Ignited Minds has a Directors and Officers Liability insurance policy. The organization has no assets and no liabilities. We have no offices or buildings, as all work is directed and performed from home offices.
Ignited Minds has adopted a self-governing model whereby the executive director with the staff are responsible for the day to day operations of the organization. Our board positions are non-paying. The full business infrastructure is set in place. The chief board duties are:
- to hold the executive director accountable for reaching overarching organizational goals established by the board and the executive director, and
- to champion fundraising efforts with grants, foundations, and private donors, again with the executive director.
The board commitments are:
- six(6) video conference board meetings in a calendar year, and the
- included in the aforementioned six(6) meetings, one shall be held September as an Annual board meeting to hold elections for incoming directors.
- Graduate degree
- Professional careers of more than 10 years’ experience
- New Mexico state residency is not required
- Possess passion about improving education for public school students, but particularly for those who perform in the lower 5-10% ranking
The types of professionals needed:
- We need a certified public accountant (CPA) to advise the executive director on tax filings, audits, and the tax rules around donations. As a CPA you are not needed for bookkeeping. We have a professional bookkeeper and keep our books on QuickBooks.
- We need a someone versed in local, county and state government innerworkings.
- Grant Writer with a proven track record of securing grant and foundation support.
If you are interested and would like to further discuss our board opportunities, email your professional resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate your interest in improving the academic careers of students and our organization.
Liv Turner, JD